I’ve been on a tomato kick lately, which is odd considering I’m not crazy about tomatoes. Unless they’re in a salsa. A good salsa. I’m from Texas so I’m rather picky about my salsa and have rather missed it lately so I tried this FODMAP free recipe from fodmapliving.com. I have a couple of photos of the prep process, but forgot to take one after. It was good. I promise. I’m making it again this week.
My Modifications & Hidden FODMAP Cautions:
I didn’t have any pure chili powder as I’ve thus far been able to find one without garlic so skipped that, but the salsa really didn’t need it in my mind. I also haven’t been brave enough to re-add onions to my diet yet so skipped those as well. I couldn’t find Cento brand roasted red peppers and bought another brand instead. Just read the label to make sure it’s just peppers and nothing else (maybe some salt or acid for preservation). The same goes for the banana peppers and tomatoes. I also couldn’t find fresh bunched herbs, just the ones in the plastic cases so I just diced the entire case of both and added it all since that is about equal to what is called for. I also put the finished salsa in a food processor afterwards as I prefer my salsa restaurant style or finely diced, not chunky.
Original Recipe: Fodmap Living: FODMAP Free Salsa
How I Made It:
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- ¼ cup dried parsley
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup diced banana peppers
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 7 ounces jar of roasted red peppers, diced and liquid
- 7 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- In medium bowl, mix together parsley, salt & pepper.
- Chop cilantro and add to seasonings.
- Dice chives, red peppers and banana peppers and add to seasonings.
- Add liquid from the jar of red peppers.
- Pour in green chilies, including the liquid.
- Pour in diced tomatoes, including the liquid.
- Add the lime juice.
- Mix well.
- Refrigerate in an air tight container for at least 2 hours for the flavors to combine. The flavor will get stronger the longer it sits!
- Makes approximately 2 ½ cups salsa.